Friday, April 23, 2010

Bathroom Collage



I'm wanting to spruce up my bathroom a little. I probably will only do a couple of minor things to it this year and save the other projects for next year.  The whole bathroom is sort of a sea of peachy beige and I figure the only way to break that up is to bring in some rich chocolate browns.

Bathroom before I moved in.


I'm not big on gutting houses.  I figure if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  Sometimes things aren't as bad as they seem.  I know people see tile all over a bathroom wall and scream - DATED!  I on the other hand see some charm in it.  I want to keep the tiles, dated and all :)   I don't like how everything is overly matchy-matchy though.  Too much beige going on. The walls are beige, tiles are beige, counters are beige, flooring is beige, can we say beige overload? It's not a pretty beige either, it's that peachy beige that doesn't exactly feel calming or anything.

Before


And I don't think the vanity is beautiful and yes the mirror is a tad dated and to top it off, it has the shiny brass light fixture over it.  First thought is to get that vanity out of there and put in all new bathroom fixtures.  Nope. I'm keeping it.  I'm going to just paint the cabinets a chocolate brown.  The color is by Valspar called Sumatra Blend.  The countertop is laminate, so that is an easy fix.  I most likely won't replace it this year though, this will be the bigger project I'm saving for next year. It will be marble like in the collage at the top.

Before


I'm also going to put walnut stained bamboo flooring in the bathroom, but not until next year.  I've heard that bamboo, since it's a plant and not actually wood, holds up to humidity better.  Bathtub is cast iron, so that's a keeper.

So what am I doing this year?  I'm going to wallpaper it!  I found some beautiful organic looking wallpaper that I absolutely love (pic is in collage at top).  It really compliments the beige tiles.  I also bought the faucet for the sink already, so that will go in now, too.  I have to switch out the light fixture before I can wallpaper, so that must also be done now.

Painting cabinets, wallpapering and replacing faucet and light fixture. That will be my bathroom makeover for this year.  I think these things alone will give it a much better feel.  I will keep you posted as to when I will start these projects. I'm hoping to get them done before May is over!

2 comments:

Chelsea said...

I think you are on the right track with keeping those tiles - they are vintage now, after all! I have some interesting tiles in my bathroom, too, that I've never seen anywhere else. Most days I like them, but there are some days when I consider ripping them out in favor of drywall (which wouldn't cut the bathroom wall in half, making it feel a little larger, I think). But then I consider just working with them... they're really not that bad, but the grout needs some attention. Anyways, the plan you whipped up looks great! I love it when someone works with existing elements in their remodel. I can't wait to see the progress! :)

Louise-Arden said...

very nice Jolie, the bamboo is going to be stunning too :D

AddThis

 

poligrip