Friday, April 23, 2010

How I met my House

I was living in Atlanta, GA and had a really great Realtor sending me links of homes in the small town of Mount Airy, NC.  I decided to move to a small town from the big city to be closer to my parents and I was tired of the hustle and bustle of the big city.  I was craving small town charm.

The very first house I liked from the listings she sent, I started imagining how it would look with the walls painted, the carpeting ripped out... I was decorating it in my mind. I could even picture myself cooking in the kitchen of the house.  I found a bunch of other houses from the listings she sent, but that first one still stuck in my mind.

I drove to NC to look at the homes in person.  I had twenty houses lined up to look at that day.  Yes, twenty in one day!  The house I had told her I was most interested in was first on the list.  It wasn't much to look at on the outside. Just an old brick ranch.  I loved the neighborhood it was in.  As we drove to it, big beautiful oak trees towered over us and draped across the road like a canopy.  It was beautiful.

We get out of the car and walk inside. The first thing that hits me is the stench of oldness.  It had a musty old smell that I didn't think I was going to be able to get past.  I think the smell killed it for me, because my excitement vanished a little and I started doubting.  I remember the cabinets in the kitchen was the thing I liked most about the house and the fact that it had a fireplace.  I continued to look at house after house that day, but house #1 still had a place in my heart.  I found another house that I liked as much. It had more charm on the outside and I liked the layout, but the backyard was slanted too much. I wouldn't be able to have a garden or play fetch with my dog in it or anything, so that became the deal breaker.  We were back to House #1 and I get a call from my realtor saying, the house has gone into a short sale and the price dropped dramatically!  I ran back over to look at the house again to be sure this was the one.

I said yes, I want this house, signed the papers and closed on it 6 weeks later!


This was taken in the snow after I had already moved in, but this is my favorite picture of the house.  It doesn't look quite as bland wrapped in snow :)

One of my favorite things about my home is the fireplace.




The other thing I had liked so much when I first looked at the house were how the cabinets were custom made and had a cottage look to them.


I know I just posted before and after pictures of every room in my house, but I saw this link on the blog, Our Suburban Cottage and thought I would do a post on how I met my house, too.  I'm a little late, as this should have been posted yesterday I guess, but it was fun anyway! Go over to An Nicole's How I Met My House Party and check out all the other amazing stories or post your own story there.









To see BEFORE and AFTER pictures of my home, click here.


P.S. The house smells good now, clean from a good scrubbing and airing out or whatever I happen to be baking :)


6 comments:

Stephanie said...

All I can say is Wow! Your home is beautiful! I love the fireplace too. We have a brick fireplace also....and I refuse to paint it. To me, the look of a brick fireplace is so classic.

Chelsea said...

Your house is gorgeous, and looks picturesque in that snow photo. It looks like something you could find in a Christmas oil painting, or storybook. Glad you got the smell out, and at least were aware of it before you bought the house. Our house didn't start smelling until after we had moved in and the humidity skyrocketed - then it got this musty/urine/moldy odor. It was super nasty. Luckily, tons of cleaning and new flooring took care of the smell - now it always smells great.. or rather doesn't smell at all, which is really what we were striving for. I enjoyed reading the story of your house, thanks for sharing! :)

Jolie said...

Oh no Chelsea, that's horrible that the smell got so bad in your house. I'm glad you were able to fix it though. There's nothing worse than a nice home that smells horrible.
A storybook? Aww thank you! :)

Stephanie, I am so glad I didn't paint my fireplace, too, which seems to be a common trend these days. I love the rustic feel and the warmth the brick adds.

pamela said...

I like those wide beadboard walls. Stunning. I can see why you chose your home.
Pamela

Jolie said...

Thanks Pamela! That's wormy Chestnut on the walls and I love it. The inside did have some charm that the outside was lacking :)

Deb said...

What a lovely home! I see lots of cozy places where I would like to curl up with a book on cold, rainy day, which is a MUST in any home in my opinion :)

AddThis

 

poligrip