Monday, May 10, 2010

Nightstand Refinished - Before & After

I refinished my nightstand a week or so ago, but I wasn't happy with the drawer handles that were on it and the stores around here just didn't have what I was looking for. I was calling everyone I knew to see if they knew where I could find old ring drop handles.  Finally I decided to stalk Ebay for some and I found them, the perfect handles like I was picturing.


I don't know how old they are or anything, but I got a really great deal on them.  $12.74 for a set of 4.  At Lowes they were wanting $10. a piece just for 1 drawer pull similar to this that was nowhere near as nice.  Ebay saved the day again.

Here's the nightstand before I refinished it.

BEFORE


Here it is after.

AFTER


I love it!!!

Here's what I did.

The top part:
  1. Removed varnish and old stain with varnish remover. 
  2. Sanded it with an orbital sander.
  3. Used a pre-stain wood conditioner. (Used lint free cloth to apply)
  4. Stained it dark walnut (used a lint free cloth)
  5. Applied tung oil to seal it. (lint free cloth)



The bottom part:
  1. Removed drawers and handles.
  2. Removed the faux bamboo and wicker attached to the top drawer and sanded.
  3. Primed (Olympic primer, but will use Bullseye from now on, used Purdy brush to apply primer)
  4. Painted it with Olympic Crumb Cookie (A very pale cream color, used Purdy brush to apply paint)
  5. Replaced handles with old antique ones I got from Ebay
I really love how it turned out.  I got this nightstand and dresser set a while back and decided I didn't like them anymore and wanted to get rid of them. I even tried to sell them on Ebay and at a yard sale a few years ago and no one wanted them.  So I got to thinking, since they did cost me quite a bit of money, I may as well turn them into something I like instead of just giving them away and purchasing a whole new set.  I'm really glad I decided to do it and the nightstand turned out even better than I expected.

It looks great in the room and seems to flow better with it's new look.







Next on my project list is to refinish the dresser.


[UPDATE: Dresser above is refinished HERE.]

I also picked up my French door for my library closet and got that put up, but I still have to paint it white.  Then I need to put shelves up in the closet for the books.
[UPDATE: Library closet finished HERE.]

I'm getting my bathroom wallpapered the next Sunday coming up and installing my new bathroom faucet.
[UPDATE: Bathroom finished HERE.]

Hoping to have all of this done with in the next 2 weeks.  Oh and on the side I have been helping my friend remodel her whole kitchen and we're hoping to have that done within the next week or so also.  I will post her before and after pictures of her kitchen, too.  It's also turning out great!
[UPDATE: Kitchen finished HERE.]

I know I sound like a mad woman with all of this remodeling and decorating, but I absolutely love doing it.  It just brings such satisfaction seeing the transformation of a room or piece of furniture. I can't get enough. Bring it on!  :)



Go read more refinishing projects from others over at Home is Where My Story Begins
Also linked to A Beach Cottage.



12 comments:

Jennifer said...

Great job on the nightstand! I saw it over on the other site. Nice blog.

Jolie said...

Thanks! Stop by any time :)

Tiffany said...

Lovely!

Canadian Cottage said...

Hi Jolie
It looks wonderful, I think it flows perfectly with the room now. The dresser looks a little more overwhelming a project, good thinking to start small. Great choice on the knobs, they really tie in the dark top. Have a great day
Janice

Tracy said...

It looks great! Nice job! :)

Amy said...

Wow, Jolie! Awesome job on everything, yet again!!!

Caroline @ youngDCliving said...

Nice work!

Chelsea said...

Wow, Jolie - that nightstand looks amazing!! I absolutely love the two-toned effect you put on it, and the pulls are perfect. I love it! And I totally agree with you on the remodeling/decorating obsession... it's a sickness, I tell ya. ;)

Mackenzie {Design Darling} said...

just found your blog via inspired design and love your before & after project! can't wait to see how your dresser turns out :)

Deb said...

That's so gorgeous! Fabulous job!

Genie said...

This is FABULOUS!!

Cottage Dreamers said...

That's beautiful! It looks like a completely different piece of furniture now.
☺ Celeste

AddThis

 

poligrip