Thursday, May 20, 2010

Starting my Garden & Hydrangeas


The Hydrangea is one of my favorite flowers. 

 If you've noticed, I have dried hydrangeas all over my house, but boy would I love to have fresh ones sitting around in vases all the time!  I knew I was going to eventually get some for my yard, but not sure where I'd put them.  
I bought 2 big beautiful Hydrangea bushes today!  They are so beautiful.  

They are a pretty good size, too.
  Here is what one of them looks like, I took a close up of it in the photo above.


I can not wait to get these planted so they can start growing!
It says filtered sun, so does this mean they can't have full sun at all?
If not, I can't put them where I had planned to, which was lined up against the back of my house.  I put them in full sun today and they wilted in 10 minutes flat!  I had to pull them back out of the sun and they perked back up.  They are Endless Summer Hydrangeas.  If anyone can give me some info on these before I plant them, I would appreciate it :)


I also planted more of my garden today.  It took about an hour and a half to get all these little plants planted, it was tiring (I'm out of shape), but so worth it.  I couldn't stop looking at it after I got it all planted and I'm not even done with it.  This area gets around 6 hours of full sun a day I think, and most of the plants directions said- needs at least 6 hrs full sun- so I should be ok. I planted them this evening because I heard it's better to plant when it's not full sun out.

My little garden.

If you're wondering why there is only a fence part of the way up, here is the story...
Little Foot kept running in the dirt and rolling around in it, so I bought some white picket fence to put around it. I knew it was short enough for him to jump over, but I thought it may at least deter him from going in it. He's usually pretty good about not going through barricades of any kind.  Wrong.  First thing he did was jump over it as I was putting it up, so I said that's not going to work.  Now I need to get a taller fence to put around it.  He's been pretty good about not going in it lately, so I think maybe he's learning, but I don't want to chance it. 

I still need to plant the leaf lettuce down the middle.

Here's what I planted:
  • Arugula
  • Tomatoes (Striped, Celebrity, Roma)
  • Onions 
  • JalapeƱo peppers
  • Habanero peppers
  • Bell peppers
  • Cayenne peppers
  • Thai basil
  • Dill
  • Cilantro
  • Parsley
  • Zucchini
  • Sunflowers
  • Marigolds
  • Leaf lettuce (coming soon)
I ran out of room, so I wasn't able to plant my cucumbers.  I'm thinking of maybe putting them somewhere else.   I hope this garden survives.  I've never planted  my own little garden before, so any advice is surly welcome!!

Do you have a garden? What are you planting this year?  What's your favorite thing to plant?


5 comments:

Tracy said...

I have a small garden - I'm a novice! Nine each of tomato & bell pepper plants and two cucumber plants. We'll see how it goes. :)

I love hydrangeas, too. I have seen them here in the south out in full sun, but these were well established ones. I'd do some research online. Sorry I can't be of more help!

Chelsea said...

Aw, I love your garden! I remember I had a little garden once when I was growing up - unfortunately, every single one of the plants died. Why? I think it was because our neighbor had dumped old pool water in that area (next to the fence) for years beforehand, which probably turned the soil bad. I hope, anyways. Either that or I have a serious black thumb!

Love your hydrangeas!

~Chelsea

Jolie said...

I'm a little nervous about the cucumber plants, I hear they grow like vines and spread out all over the place?

Someone just told me too that the reason the hydrangeas wilted is because they may not have had enough water at the time.

Sherry B. said...

Hey Jolie...My grandma had a beautiful Hydrangea bush next to her garage and it grew to be a very large bush, be prepared for them to get maybe 4-5 feet up and out but oh so pretty. My parents put up a huge garden every year, I'm headed there in June and I'll take a pic for you. My dad keeps adding to it every year. This year he added blueberry bushes and grapes. I'm looking forward to the great fresh food. As for the cucumbers, they do vine out, you need plenty of room and has scratchy little fuzzy leaves. Excited for your garden to grow..I wish we could grow more here.

Ngoc said...

Hi Jolie. Hydrangeas need light, but only indirect. The wilting is due to not enough water. You may want to plant them near the side of the house/garage/fence because those structures may create shade for the bushes. They do grow fairly tall (4-5 feet!) so make sure to plant them away from the fence.

As for the veggie garden, cucumber plants are vine-like. Must make sure you get a cage for them or build some sort of trellis and they will only spread upwards.

Your garden is looking beautiful!

AddThis

 

poligrip