Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Library Closet - Complete

The library closet is finally complete!  I am so amazingly glad that I decided to turn the coat closet into a library.  Before, it wasn't really getting any use and I wasn't wanting to store a lot of things in it, so the guests could put their coats and sweaters and such in the closet without them getting lost in a sea of clutter.  Well, when people would come over, they would never want to put their things in the closet for some reason, maybe people around here don't use coat closets, sooooo, I said, why not make it into something more useful?

That is when I stumbled upon the idea to turn a closet into a library.  I've never really collected books over the years because I've moved around so much and didn't want to lug a bunch of books around with me.  Now that I'm going to stay put for a while and have the space for them, I don't have to give away all  my books anymore.  I have the perfect little spot for them.

Here is the before picture of what the ordinary coat closet looked like.  I ripped out the shelf and metal bar.  Sanded it, painted it and put the shelves up!

BEFORE


AFTER


Does it look better or what?  It feels so nice to have all of my books organized.  I have them all separated according to subject and it's so much easier to get to the books I need. I use to have them scattered throughout the house in different drawers, cabinets, etc. and now I can get to what I need in a seconds glance.

It was extremely easy if you are thinking of turning a closet into a library.  
  • The shelf that was in it before was nailed on, so I just pried it off with a hammer. 
  • Sanded the areas that got messed up from removing the shelf.  
  • Painted with the color Benjamin Moore Bone White
  • Cut white pine to the exact length of the wall.
  • Cut small boards to the sides so I could  just lay the shelf down on it, so the shelves are removable.
  • Removed the old door and put a French door on.  (This took the most work actually)
  • Filled the shelves with books!
Here is a view with the door open.



I got this idea from a website I saw that showed how someone who lives in a tiny condo can get creative with the small space they have. Since I live in a tiny house, less than 1200 sq ft, I didn't have a room for a library, so this extra closet taking up room was also the perfect place for me to make a little library that will get a lot of use.

Here is the library closet I used as inspiration to make mine.

Inspiration Photo

Here is the original link I posted to the inspiration library closet.

Like I said, it was so easy.  If you have been thinking of doing something similar, I would encourage you to go ahead and do it! I feel like I have an extra room added onto my house now!  :)




23 comments:

Genie said...

I love it!! And yours looks MUCH better than your inspiration closet!

Jolie said...

Awww thanks Genie!! I just had to have a French door! hehe

Tracy said...

Being a book-lover, I think this is awesome and too cute for words! :)

Chelsea@ThisFreshFossil said...

I love it! It turned out even better than the inspiration photo (LOVE that door!).

Taylor (The House on Penny Lane) said...

Love! Everything you've done looks great. I bet it makes the area look a lot bigger, too. Have you thought about posting a floor plan of your house? I'd love to see how the areas relate to each other.

Lou :) said...

oh I just love it!! Looks like a prayer closet too, Just Sweet !!!! I love that you have a chair in there and all :D It does look even better than the post you found. Great Job Jolie!!! :D

Deb said...

Looks fabulous!! Much better than the inspiration photo :) What a great idea!!!!

Amy said...

I love love love this!!! I like so many things about your home, but this may be my favorite! :) Awesome!

Karla @ {The Classy Woman} said...

What a neat idea! I haven't actually seen this before. With both hubby and I being Authors and his HUGE library of books, this would be such a neat idea in a larger home. In this old house we need all the storage we can get.

I thought your library reminded me of a window because it was so bright and beautiful. Adds so much light and it is so much nicer than your inspiration photo!

Anna See said...

aargh! i am in love with this! great job!

vanessa said...

Very cool idea! Love yours more than the insp pic!

Tara G. said...

Um, yours is 500x better!! Love it!

Larina said...

That was a great idea! Your closet library turned out really nice. I love the picture on the top shelf. It looks like a window from far away. Way to take the inspiration closet and make it your own!

Happy Dash said...

wow! I just found your blog from YHL and love this project ... if we had an extra closet (as in more than 2), I would be doing this in a heartbeat - maybe in our next house.

Christine said...

I love this idea and want to do it at home. Unfortunately, my husband uses the hall coat closet as his clothes closet!

jessica said...

Wow! Thank you for sharing. Storing up brilliant ideas for the day we can settle into a home of our own. Keep the inspiration coming!

The Keylors said...

Great idea!!! I love it!

Jenn said...

I love this idea! We have the perfect closet for this!

Gayle said...

L O V E !!!! I've been thinking of doing this, but figured it was a dorky idea I had on my own. Been putting it off for fear I would hate it. Saw your pics and have been inspired! Not dorky...it's genius!

The Cannary's said...

Visiting you from Sugar Bananas! i think your version is waaayyy better - I like how you added in some art - after all, people can see in to the "library' and all great libraries have art! I would love to do this in my home, but closet storage is premium here. Nice touch with the chair, too!

Sarah said...

I am so inspired by this idea! I want to turn one of my closets into a library now. The one I have in mind is just filled with unnecessary clutter. Yours looks fabulous!

Handy Man, Crafty Woman said...

That is awesome!! I love the glass, and the light in the closet!

Inspire Me Heather said...

Your library closet looks great! I love your idea so much and now I really NEED a closet so I can do this too! I've got this linked to my home libraries post as well today, nice job!

AddThis

 

poligrip