That is when I stumbled upon the idea to turn a closet into a library. I've never really collected books over the years because I've moved around so much and didn't want to lug a bunch of books around with me. Now that I'm going to stay put for a while and have the space for them, I don't have to give away all my books anymore. I have the perfect little spot for them.
Here is the before picture of what the ordinary coat closet looked like. I ripped out the shelf and metal bar. Sanded it, painted it and put the shelves up!
Does it look better or what? It feels so nice to have all of my books organized. I have them all separated according to subject and it's so much easier to get to the books I need. I use to have them scattered throughout the house in different drawers, cabinets, etc. and now I can get to what I need in a seconds glance.
It was extremely easy if you are thinking of turning a closet into a library.
- The shelf that was in it before was nailed on, so I just pried it off with a hammer.
- Sanded the areas that got messed up from removing the shelf.
- Painted with the color Benjamin Moore Bone White
- Cut white pine to the exact length of the wall.
- Cut small boards to the sides so I could just lay the shelf down on it, so the shelves are removable.
- Removed the old door and put a French door on. (This took the most work actually)
- Filled the shelves with books!
Here is a view with the door open.
I got this idea from a website I saw that showed how someone who lives in a tiny condo can get creative with the small space they have. Since I live in a tiny house, less than 1200 sq ft, I didn't have a room for a library, so this extra closet taking up room was also the perfect place for me to make a little library that will get a lot of use.
Here is the library closet I used as inspiration to make mine.
Here is the original link I posted to the inspiration library closet.
Like I said, it was so easy. If you have been thinking of doing something similar, I would encourage you to go ahead and do it! I feel like I have an extra room added onto my house now! :)