Wednesday, July 21, 2010

About Me







I'm a Florida native and have spent the last few years living in NC and just moved back to Florida again. I'm so glad to be back in the Sunshine State!  I have the sweetest little dog in the world. His name is Little Foot, he's a Border Collie mix.  I adopted him from a shelter almost 6 yrs ago in Atlanta, GA.

I just purchased my 2nd home and am in the process of remodeling, this blog is my journal along the way. Sorry for the lack of posts lately, but I'm getting ready to start working on it again, so there will be many more posts to come!













An Island off Thailand with friends.

On a beach in Pattaya, Thailand.

One of the highlights of my life was living in Thailand for 2 years.  I was there teaching English, learning Thai and doing outreach work.  I automatically connected with the Thai people, culture and lifestyle there.  I have never met so many warm friendly people.  Thailand is called the Land of Smiles.  All you have to do is smile at someone and they will befriend you!  I couldn't believe how much I had in common with them, it was very hard for me to leave this place.  Thailand has a HUGE place in my heart and I will go back again one day.  I think sometimes my friends that know me probably get tired of hearing me talk about Thailand all the time  :)   I can't help it, it's part of me.



Mom, Dad and Me


As for the creativity aspect of my decorating, photography, writing, my moms side of the family is very artistic. My mother can draw, paint, sew... she is amazing! My grandfather was very artistic, too. He could also paint beautifully and use to be a sign painter. He painted everything by hand, no fancy technology like they use today.

My dad was quite creative as well, he built on a whole room to the house I grew up in by himself.  I grew up watching him make cabinets and furniture, refinish antiques, building things from nothing.  As a teenager, I would refinish little dressers and fancy them up, just from watching my dad. We never took any classes or read the first book about it.
So I guess I credit it to genes :)


I've moved once a year since I was about 19 years old, I love to travel and experience new places and people.  I have never stayed in one place long enough to put down any roots, and here I am again moving. My goal is to try to stay in the current house I just bought in Merritt Island for 5 years..  

Please don't hesitate to comment or send me an email. 

With Love,
Jolie

22 comments:

The Monogrammed Mrs. said...

I'm not far from you! I'm in eastern NC. I love your decor. Your home looks so warm and inviting! Thanks for sharing!!

Jennifer said...

So nice to learn more about you! Thanks so much for posting. Your dog is absolutely adorable!

Signed, Your nosey blog fan.

Tracy said...

Nice to "meet" you, Jolie! Love your doggie, too. I think it's wonderful that you have given him a new (and better!) life. :)

Anonymous said...

You are NOT 40 years old!! My goodness, I thought I was following the decorating blog of a 20-something fresh out of school! I wondered what your profession was, but thought maybe you preferred to keep your personal life hush. I found you through Young House Love and added your blog to my favorites. You have great style! Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

You are such a warm-hearted person and sharing your life, your home with me all these years has been a blessing to me. Regardless of where you have traveled off to, far far away.... our friendship remains strong. I love LF toooo!! :)
xoxo from your BFF....
Bec Bec

Jill said...

Thanks for the sneak peek into your personal life! Your adorable dog-- Little foot? Pretty big dog, there has to be a story there. I was also shocked to learn your true age.

I also immediately started following your blog when YHL featured you. Keep up the great work.

Honey, I live in WI and think your winters are tame!

Chelsea@ThisFreshFossil said...

It's so nice to meet you, Jolie! :) Thanks for sharing a few details about who you are and where you get your awesome DIY skillz from.

P.S. Aren't shelter dogs the best? Ours was from a shelter, too - and we couldn't imagine our lives without him, now! :)

~Chelsea

Casey said...

Thanks for sharing! Your home is precious. We are currently selling our first home, and I'm looking to style my next one in a look similar to yours (and we dream of being in NC so I guess we have a lot in common!) My new blog is more personal, but I hope to add a design element soon http://notexactlysimple.blogspot.com/

MrsKBJ said...

It is nice to "meet" you:) I found your blog on yhl. I would of thought you were in your 20's! You look so young! Not that 40 is old, but you can pass for mid 20s :0) thanks for sharing a little bit of your life. I love your home, you have done such a wonderful job!
Kelly

teresa-bug said...

Nice to hear more about you! I have enjoyed seeing your home and projects. I would love to work from home...but fear I would do more house stuff than work stuff.

Cathy @ The Far Fifty said...

You're so adventurous! I'm a big fan too and it's nice to get to know you better!

Heather said...

Thanks for sharing. Your home is really beautiful! I first came to your blog from YHL and now I'm a follower. We definitely share a similar style, so I'm always inspired by your projects and updates.

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog, I LOVE what you have done with your new home! I amin the process of repurposing things around here and fixing up too. Amie in Tn.

Ashley Noelle said...

It was nice you learn more about you....but I must say my jaw hit the floor when I read you are 40. I thought you were more like my age (I will be 27 on Sunday). You and your house are both fabulous. I love your pup too, I have a Boxer (Cooper) with the exact same story-he is my baby! Keep up the great work. Im hoping to start my blog soon....you will have to stop by once its up!

Lynsey and Brian said...

There is no way you are 40! I honestly thought you were in your 20's. I'm in NC too. I love your house and your doggie is just too precious!

Kim said...

Thanks for sharing a little more about yourself! Now I can picture you and your lovely dog in the rooms you post pictures of :)
I can relate to how you feel about Thailand; after spending a year in Uganda, I left a piece of my heart there and love to reminisce about our time there.
I also understand the itchy feet feeling :) We've been married 31 years and are in house #13 -- and we've lived in four states and on three continents. The longest we stayed anywhere was the parsonage in Michigan (11 years - but that was broken up by the year in Uganda in the middle of that time).

Martina said...

It's nice to learn more about you! I love your blog, your style and creativity. Your house is like a dream for me, especially your beautiful, roomy kitchen.
Your age seems to be a big surprise to all of us! Living in Europe, I was always thinking: wow, what a country, where 20-somethings are able to own such pretty houses!
Looking forward to visiting your beautiful home here again! Best wishes, Martina

Louise-Arden said...

Very Beautiful Jolie, so nice to see you share more, you are such a blessing :) Love the Thai Land photo's ! :D

Natalie said...

Found you after the Before & After feature.. Love the house. Can't wait to read more & see other things you've done. By the way, you share a name with my daughter. Small world.

Southern Sassafras said...

I definitely thought you were like 26-28. Now way you are 40! You look great girl!!

Sweetie Queen Elbi said...

How interesting you are! I fell in love with border collies after reading about Jon Katz's sweet heart named Rose. If you've never read his books about farm life in up-state New York with a bunch of border collies, you should give them a peek. You will love them!! If I had the ideal life like you, I would love to have one of those dogs.

Enjoying this beautiful life we've created said...

I came across your blog just yesterday and I think I've read all of your posts!!! I absolutely LOVE your home and how you've decorated it!! You have amazing taste =) Thanks for sharing a little about you...I'm shocked you are 40! I thought you were in your 20's! What ever you are doing, keep it up because you look awesome! Also, your dog is a little sweetie! His story is sad but I'm happy he's found a loving home with you! I have a huge soft spot for dogs and I'm a sucker for a dog with a happy ending =) Thanks for opening your home & the whole experience with us!

AddThis

 

poligrip