I made a post already showing some of the steps I used to refinish the dresser. You can find that here.
Here is a quick meltdown of the steps.
The bottom part of the dresser:
- Scuff sanded.
- Primed with Olympic VOC free primer.
- 2 coats of Olympic Crumb Cookie
- Replaced handles with Gatehouse Aged Bronze Pulls from Lowes.
- Removed varnish with a varnish remover.
- Sanded all the way down to the white pine with an orbital sander.
- Conditioned the wood with Minwax pre-stain conditioner.
- Used about 3 coats of Minwax dark walnut stain.
- I started sealing it with tung oil, but switched over to what I used to seal my butcher block counters because it doesn't have a strong smell like the tung oil. (Now I can cut veggies on my dresser, haha)
Dark walnut stain.
My bedroom continues to look more complete, still a few more things I want to do yet.