Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Thai Basil Rolls (Vegetarian)

Tonight I made some Thai Basil Rolls.  I didn't look up a recipe or anything because you can sort of fill these rolls with whatever you would like.  Sometimes grocery stores have them already made that you can buy in the deli section and you can order them at Thai restaurants.  I love avocado, so that was my main ingredient.  I just put some salad leaves, avocado, Thai basil leaves from my garden and that's it.  It takes like 10 minutes to make.  Easier than grabbing takeout from McDonalds!  :)


What I used:

  • Organic mixed greens 
  • Organic Thai basil from my garden
  • Avocado
  • Rice paper 
  • Organic Peanut Sauce
I boiled some water and poured it in a large plate that would hold the water.  I soaked the rice paper for about 2 minutes.  Put the basil on the rice sheet, then layered the avocados on top of those, then added the salad greens.  I started by folding the rice paper from the bottom, then folded over the sides on top of the filling, then continued to roll it all the way up.  You can probably find tutorials on youtube that show you how to roll them.  I didn't feel like making the peanut sauce from scratch, so I keep some already bottled here for times like this. You can find the rice paper and peanut sauce in the Asian section of your grocery store or an Asian supermarket. Sometimes people add carrots, shrimp, cilantro, bean sprouts, onions, etc., but it's up to you.

How it turned out.



I drank some tea with it, one of my favorite teas is this green tea by Yogi. It's the super-antioxidant one, it has lemongrass in it, which I think is what gives it the amazing flavor.



I also picked a few more things from my garden today.  I have ripe tomatoes now!  This is so fun.


Look at those wonky cayenne peppers! They are so long and wrinkly.



I made a little before bed time snack. 
This is the first time I've ever bought or cooked an artichoke.
I steamed it and dipped the bottom of the leaves in a tad of some Horizon organic butter.
Does this look right?  It sure tasted good.


11 comments:

Jill said...

Looks yummy! It's on my bucket list to try the following: guacamole, sushi, and 5 guys burger and fries. I know, 45 years old.....lame.

Louise-Arden said...

this looks wonderful, I must try it! :)

Jolie said...

Your bucket list! That's funny, I just made a bucket list a couple of weeks ago. You've never had guacamole? I must make some to put on the blog sometime!

P.S. I just edited this post to add a snack I just made.

Jill said...

OMG...........I love artichokes! It looks perfect! Yum.

Yeah, my coworkers are always riding me about the foods I have yet to try.

Anonymous said...

If you make artichokes again try putting some lemon juice in the melted butter (works with fish too). It gives it great flavor and cuts down on the bad stuff. Sometimes I add some of the water I steam the artichoke in (I use this mostly for shellfish - crab/lobster) to help dilute the butter...in addition to or instead of the lemon juice...Just a thought....

Anonymous said...

If you make artichokes again try putting some lemon juice in the melted butter (works with fish too). It gives it great flavor and cuts down on the bad stuff. Sometimes I add some of the water I steam the artichoke in (I use this mostly for shellfish - crab/lobster) to help dilute the butter...in addition to or instead of the lemon juice...Just a thought....

Jeralee said...

Yum! - I like your version and will have to try it.

I usually put rice noodles in mine, a long with a sliced cucumber, a spearmint leaf, sometimes shrimp, for the kids. Then I dip it in Sweet Chili Sauce.

Anonymous said...

I never thought to make a bucket list of foods I would like to try. That's a GREAT idea!!
Well your dinner looks quite yummy! All in all your garden is doing quite well, eh. :)
I have never eaten artichoke. Maybe I'll add that to my list!

Bec Bec

Melissa said...

you are awesome! Thanks for sharing. I will have to make those at home too. NEver thought of making them at home! xoxo
melissa

Wendy said...

This looks so yummy! I am going to have to make these. I have never used rice paper before - but am excited to try it! I recently made some PB sauce, but it didn't turn out right, I am going to look for it at the store.

C.R.A.F.T. said...

those look so good and healthy! come on over and link up to MMM :)

AddThis

 

poligrip