Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Bathroom Wallpapered!

Here it finally is.  I didn't think this project was ever going to get done.  I will firmly say that I do NOT like to wallpaper.  I was so bad at it. My mom came over and helped me do a little at first, but I tried to do the rest by myself and I made sooo many mistakes.  I would accidentally cut it wrong or something would go wrong.  After all of that, it turned out looking great and I am glad I wallpapered it instead of painting it.  I tried so many paint colors and  nothing looked right in this bathroom against this odd colored beige tile.

(This is the only bathroom in the house by the way.  I have a tiny 2 bedroom, 1 bath home.)

The fruits of my labor...




BEFORE



AFTER




BEFORE



AFTER



BEFORE



AFTER



BEFORE

Love my cast iron bathtub.

AFTER


It's not really a complete before and after bathroom makeover.  I still have a few more things I would like to do before it's finally finished, but I think I'm going to wait and do those projects next year.  I am on the hunt for a white roman shade to replace the plastic blinds right now though.  I ordered some from Ebay and had to return them because they got all bent up during shipping. They were JC Penney brand and I didn't like them. They didn't hang right.

I would eventually like to:

  • Get bamboo floors to replace the old vinyl.
  • Get a marble countertop to replace the laminate counters.
  • Re-tile the  bottom of the shower floor.


The wallpaper I got was by Kathy Ireland Home.  The print is called Garden Silhouette, the item ID is NL58196. I got the first roll from Sherwin Williams, then had to order 2 additional rolls from Total Wallcovering.
It's environmentally friendly, prepasted, breathable, washable and fully removable.

I would just like to say, I wouldn't have purchased this wallpaper had I known how much waste there was going to be. I had to cut off so much in order to get the next row to line up as I was putting each sheet up.  As you can see, there is only half of a wall to do in a tiny bathroom. It took 3 double rolls! Now I know why people don't wallpaper anymore. lol  I am just so glad that project is over.  I'm surprised I didn't wallpaper myself to the wall!

Some of the wasted wallpaper that didn't get used.


I love how it turned out.  I like the organic feel and look it gives the bathroom.  I wasn't sure what to do with such a dated room.  When anyone would walk into my bathroom, I would say, welcome to 1963.  I mean, how do you update something like this? lol  I changed out the light fixture over the mirror and I replaced the faucet for the sink. Remember my bathroom flood?

Slowly but surely each room is starting to fall into place.  I can't wait to get my bedroom, I mean the *guest* bedroom finished now!  I have so many fun ideas for it!  I'll post pics of what I have been doing in there next, so come back.  :)

28 comments:

Abby said...

I like it! I'm glad to see wallpaper coming back because I have a lot of uneven walls in my old house, which is why I now know that my grandparents had those walls COVERED.

So it's made to be easily removable?

The Monogrammed Mrs. said...

It looks great! So clean and fresh. I noticed your black door knob. Did you replace all of the door hardware in your home or just that one? Was it difficult? Did you do it yourself? Hinges too? I want to do ours but not sure I can handle it.

Jolie said...

Thank you!
Well it says easily removable, but I haven't tried to take it down yet. ha It looks like all you would have to do is spray it with warm water and it would come off. I know when it was wet it was sliding all over the place!

Jolie said...

Monogrammed Mrs,
Yes, I replaced the door knobs. I replaced each on in the house except for the exterior doors, which those are getting done very soon, too. It wasn't hard at all, since there was already hardware there before. You just remove the screws and replace the new knobs. Very easy! The hinges I left because they weren't as shiny of a brass as the knobs were. Apparently they didn't have the lacquer coating on them, so they aged to a darker color.
Hope this helps!

Jill said...

WHOA! It looks fabulous. LOVE LOVE LOVE the wallpaper! Those faucet handles are perfect. You pay attention to all details too. Love the robe/towel hook next to the door and the plant hook.....and I could go on and on!

Kai said...

That's totally gorgeous! You don't even notice the tile anymore because the wallpaper is so dramatic. Great choice!

You do have me worried though. I plan on wallpapering a closet wall in my bedroom with 2 rolls I bought ages ago on clearance at Target. Now I'm afraid I won't have enough. Yikes!

Jolie said...

Thanks Jill, the details seem to just pull things together. Wish I had got some flowers to put on the sink for the finishing touch.

Kai, If the pattern is large, you may lose a lot of paper. The smaller the pattern, the less paper you would lose.

Jen said...

I have to say I didn't like the tile in the "before" pic..but with the wallpaper it looks COMPLETELY different! I L-O-V-E it!!!
I've always wanted to wallpaper but have no idea how...Yours looks great!

Anonymous said...

You WOW us once again!!
LOVE the choice of wallpaper and the dramatic effect it has in the room. It opens it up and brightens it more than I would have imagined. All of your details add the ooooh ahhhh effect. I absolutely LOVE it!

Bec

Ellen said...

I have the same kind of bathroom except BLUE tile! I painted stripes in coordinating colors...you can see it on my blog.

http://www.esudano.blogspot.com

Cathy @ The Far Fifty said...

Beautiful, the wallpaper looks great! Maybe you can save the scraps for lining drawers or something. Love the little wooden stool.

Ali Moore said...

The wallpaper looks so great! Maybe you can frame remnants and place them elsewhere in your house to tie different rooms together?

Also, we have a similar looking bathroom as far as the large mirror goes. Something we are considering to make it appear more polished and updated - frame it out with wood crown molding and then paint it white. I think yours would look great, especially with the other accents you already have!

Paige said...

LOVE it! Like, so much! It totally transforms the space. Go girl!

Chelsea said...

I'm usually not a fan of wallpaper, but I LOVE it! It totally transforms the whole bathroom, and that organic print is PERFECT! Great job! Your bathroom looks relaxing and inviting now, just as a bathroom should. :) The wallpaper really did make a huge difference!

~Chelsea

Amy said...

I love it, Jolie. Very serene! Great job, as always! :)

K.J. Hascall said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
K.J. Hascall said...

Your bathroom looks fabulous! I have a "problem" bathroom too — brown vanity, green counter top, white bathtub and toilet, silly putty colored walls — but I'm renting. I have a chill landlord who lets me paint, but I can't get in behind the toilet and I'm no plumber (don't dare remove it). Guess I just have to close my eyes when I'm in there and dream about bathrooms like yours!
http://themorningdistrict.wordpress.com

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

This looks amazing. You really made that tile not only work but rock. Love it all together. And, I like the new light fixture, too> What a difference. It doesn't even look like the same room.

Louise-Arden said...

I just LOVE, LOVE It!!!! :D Great Job Jolie!!

Kim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kim said...

Let me try this again :) I'm half asleep and can't type this early in the morning apparently.

This was TOTALLY worth all your hard work! Absolutely stunning. Although I'm not a big fan of wallpapering myself, this design is fresh and really makes the room! You done good! :)

(Our first home had been owned by a young single guy who I think stayed stoned whenever he did any work on the house. One bedroom had "sunset" murals hand painted on the walls in black, red, orange and mustard yellow. After FOUR coats of paint, the black and red still showed through, so on the advice of a friend we wallpapered with a heavily embossed paper. It looked great, but I vowed never again! LOL)

Becolorful said...

So I have a bone to pick with you. :) I just said I would never EVER put up wallpaper again and then you do something as fun and good looking as this. You are determined to make me eat my words aren't you?
It really looks nice. Well done girl.
Thank you too for stopping by and commenting on my new curtains. I like the flowing white too and I am sure yours are also lovely.
Pam

Anonymous said...

save left over wall paper for small projects or sell it at garage sale for other crafters

Linda @ bushel and a pickle said...

Love your make over! Where did you get the wall hanging cabinet? That is exactly what I want for our bathroom. Have a good day! Linda

Jolie said...

The wall cabinet was already here when I bought the house. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Anonymous said...

You're on apartment therapy re-nest!!! http://www.re-nest.com/re-nest/before-after/before-38-after-dated-bathroom-gets-a-facelift-with-wallpapershopping-candy-for-my-first-home-145743#comments

Anonymous said...

Love it! I have tile like this and will look for a wallpaper solution! (came over here from Re-Nest)

A Pearl In The Making said...

Wonderful job. I love so much of the older tile and am glad to see someone appreciating it too.

AddThis

 

poligrip