Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Canning Tomatoes


1.  Get a bunch of fresh vine ripe tomatoes from a garden!


I've spent some of the weekend and last night canning tomatoes from my dads garden.  He's canned about 90 something cans of his own and between my friend and I, we've canned about 50 and I'm planning on canning a lot more. I'm also wanting to can some home made salsa in the next week, so if anyone has ever done this, I'd love some advice.  It will be my first time doing salsa.


2. Blanch them in some boiling water for 1 minute.


3. Quickly toss them in some cold water.


4. Cut out the stem part and peel off the skin.  (Blanching them and putting them in cold water is what makes the skins slide right off the tomatoes.)


5. Cut up the tomatoes and boil them a little, this is what makes stewed tomatoes.  If you just want them left whole or don't want them stewed, you don't have to boil them. We left some out that we didn't stew to can also.


6. Fill the jars with tomatoes. Then put back in the pressure cooker for a moment and remove.  This is what seals them.  Every time one seals, you hear it pop.



7.  Store away for winter. Nothing like home grown canned tomatoes cooked in yummy soups while sitting by the fire.  Okay, so I'll probably sneak a couple of cans out to use before winter like I have the green beans.


Little Foot always enjoys going to the farm with me when I can veggies.  The Border Collie starts to come out in him and he tries to stalk the cows.  He still isn't sure what to do with them yet, but he knows it has something to do with charging toward them. He's so funny about it, the cows just aren't threatened by him at all.  Not yet.



There's a lot of corn ready now, so next is corn! I'm going to freeze the corn, I don't really like how canned corn tastes.  My dad has this neat little gadget that you use to remove the kernels and it turns it into creamed corn. You don't add any cream or additives at all, and it still tastes so creamy and yummy!  I just bought a freezer at Lowe's last week, so I'm hoping it will be delivered by Friday.

If you've been wanting to can your own veggies, I would encourage you to do it.  It is so satisfying and tastes so much better than the vegetables in store bought cans.  It's pretty easy, too. If I can do it, anyone can.  :)

6 comments:

Jill said...

Looks so good and you are so right, there is NOTHING like homegrown. Enjoy.

Valerie said...

Your canned tomatoes and green beans look great! So far I have green beans canned and zucchini frozen. Our tomatoes aren't ready yet.

Can't wait to see more of your posts!

XO,
Valerie

vanessa said...

All those colors are beautiful! One day I hope to have that much produce from my garden. Happy canning!

Linda said...

All your canned stuff is looking great! nothing like home grown food
Enjoy..

Abby said...

My mom and I did this a couple of weeks ago. 50 jars or so, I think. We split them with my two sisters. I can't wait to make vegetable soup when it gets cold!

And I froze corn last week. A farmers market lady told me to leave it in the husk, but trim a bit off each end then put it on one layer in a freezer bag (in other words, don't stack the ears in the bags.) Thaw it in the fridge, then cook it in the micro in the husk; she said the silks will just fall off.

My parents do the whole shuck, clean, blanch thing, but the lady told us it isn't necessary. We shall see!

Louise-Arden said...

Love, Love, Love Love all the farm photos you posted!!!! You did great with the canning!!

AddThis

 

poligrip