Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Imam Bayildi Recipe

---

The title of this traditional Turkish recipe means "the imam fainted," referring to a holy man who passed out with pleasure when presented with this dish, perhaps because of the wonderful aromas.




Imam Bayildi
2 eggplants 10 1/2 oz each
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 large onions chopped
2 large garlic cloves crushed
2x 14oz cans chopped tomatoes
3 Tbsp raisins
3 Tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
lemon rind finely grated
2 Tbsp lemon  juice
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon (I used 1/4 tsp)
1/2 tsp ground cumin
pinch of cayenne pepper
salt and pepper







Step one: Cut each eggplant in half lengthwise. Using a knife scoop out the flesh leaving about 1/4 inch shell.

Step two: Chop the eggplant flesh and place in a colander,sprinkle with salt and allow to drain for 30 min. Rinse and pat dry

Step three: Heat olive oil in large skillet, add onions and fry, stirring until softened, add garlic and stirring for about 2 minutes.




Step four: Add tomatoes, eggplant, raisins, parsley, lemon juice, cinnamon, cumin, cayenne and then season with salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring until mixture has thickened.

Step five: Spoon the mixture into the eggplant shells, mounding it up slightly. Place the filled shells in an ovenproof dish.

Step six: Cover the dish with foil, roast in a preheated over at 350 for 45-50 minutes. Serve hot


________________



The recipe turned out great. This is definitely not something to make if you're in a rush or want something quick. This meal took about 2 hours to complete.  This is really an amazing Turkish dish.  I had no idea it would take so long to make, I saw the bake for 45 minutes, but didn't realize how long it took to prep for it.  Sorry Lou!  Lou is my friend that I make a Tuesday night meal with across the miles. She lives in FL and I live in NC.  



Here is how Lou's turned out.



As I was waiting for the meal to bake, there was a little left in the pot that I didn't use in the  eggplants.  I rarely test taste my food as I'm cooking it, I don't know why.  So I tasted it and all I tasted was cinnamon and thought, OH NO!!  Lou  is going to KILL me!  I thought, she hasn't called me back, maybe she's mad and never speaking to me again. LOL  So I called her and she had just finished eating hers.  She assured me the final outcome was delish.  She was right, when it was finished baking all the flavors had run together and had such a neat smell and taste.  Maybe that is why I don't test taste my food while cooking.  :)


I waited so long for this meal,
 I had me a little spinach salad before hand.




I got the recipe from this cookbook.
What's Cooking Mediterranean




_______________


My dad canned some grape juice.
It looks different than what you buy in the stores,
 but it tasted really great.




Here is his wine fermenting, it stays in this bottle for a month or two.




Sorry if this posts layout is all messed up, blogger is having some major technical difficulties, I will try to fix it later.


5 comments:

Louise-Arden said...

Jolie, dinner was awesome!! :) Thanks so much for the recipe !!! :D

Rumana Akter said...

Looking for recipes? You've come to the right place. The Year of the Cookie has many free recipes - all created, tested, reviewed.

The Year of the Cookie

Jolie said...

You're welcome, Lou! Yes, it really did turn out awesome :)

Louise-Arden said...

I had the leftovers this evening and they were just as good as last night :D SO YUMMY!!!

Jolie said...

I had the leftovers, too! I think they were even better that way.

AddThis

 

poligrip