Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Mexican Black Bean Salad Tostada


MEXICAN BLACK BEAN SALAD TOSTADA
(Vegetarian)

1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
2 Tbsp red onions minced
1 large garlic clove, minced
1/2 medium jicama, peeled and diced (1/2 cup)
1/4 cup frozen corn kernals, sweet, rinsed under hot water to defrost
1/4 cup avocado, diced
1/2 cup grape tomatoes, halved
4 Tbsp canned green chili peppers, diced
3 Tbsp fresh lime juice, from 1 large lime
2 Tbsp cilantro, fresh, chopped
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp salt
4 small corn tortillas

Instructions:
Combine all ingredients, except tortillas, in a large bowl, mix to combine.
Toast tortillas and top each with 3/4 cup of salad; serve. Yields 1 tostada per serving.
Recipe can be doubled for larger gatherings.

_______________________


This is a Weight Watchers recipe I found on their site. Lou and her husband have been doing the Weight Watchers diet and had really great results with it, so I thought I would pick out a WW recipe this week for her.
The link to the recipe is here.  Mexican Black Bean Salad Tostada



Ok so I forgot to get avocado! I was so upset because avocados are one of my favorite foods.  I also looked high and low for a jicama, but there were none to be found in this little town.  Lou couldn't find any jicamas either.  I've never had one,  nor do I know what they taste like.  Hopefully I'm not missing too much?

I used fresh corn from the farmers market instead of frozen corn.

I also made some of my own salsa to put on the tostada.  I just love experimenting with salsas and this one turned out nice. I added habanero instead of jalapeƱo.
Here is the recipe for the green salsa.  Tomatilla Salsa Verde Recipe

The tostada recipe was very good, I love all Mexican food though.  This sort of seemed like bean salad and just putting it on a tostada, which isn't bad, but you could probably easily eat this like salsa and use chips instead.

This is my Tuesday night dinner across the miles with Lou, if you're wondering about what I'm talking about. Every Tuesday evening my friend Lou (in FL) and I (in NC) make the same meal. I'm going to be at the farm canning grape juice tonight, so I made my dinner last night instead.  You can click on the recipes link on the right side of my blog to see all the other Tuesday recipes we've done.

Here is how Lou's dinner turned out.

1 comment:

Jill said...

You guys are a day early! Way to confuse the old girl LOL.

I have had jicama.....it is a root and similar to peel to a kohlarabi (sp?) and has a unique texture and has a very mild taste. I love to slice it up and salt it and eat it raw.

AddThis

 

poligrip