Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Salad Bar Pad Thai






Salad Bar Pad Thai

1/4 lb rice sticks or thin spaghetti
1/4 cup rice vinegar
3 Tbs fish sauce (can substitute with soy sauce)
1 Tbs sugar
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
2 tsp peanut oil
8 scallions, slice
1 garlic clove chopped
1 1/2 cups cooked snow peas, halved
1 tomato, chopped
1 cup bean sprouts
3 hard-cooked large eggs, peeled and finely chopped
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 cup chopped mint
1/2 cup chopped basil
3 Tlbs unsalted dry-roasted peanuts chopped

Step one:Place rice sticks in a large bowl; add enough warm water to cover and let soak until softened, about 10 min. OR prepare thin spaghetti according to package.

Step two: in a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, soy sauce, sugar and crushed red pepper

Step Three: In a large wok, heat oil. Saute the scallions and garlic until softened, about 3 min. Add the rice sticks and toss to coat. Stir in the vinegar mixture and cook , tossing gently until heated through about 2 min. add the snow peas, tomato, and bean sprouts, cook tossing gently for 1 min. 
Sprinkle with eggs, cilantro, mint, basil and peanuts before serving. 

_____________________________


This recipe was from my friend Lou.  It was her turn to pick the recipe for our Tuesday night dinner.  She knows I love Thai food  :)  She got the recipe from her Weight Watchers Cookbook.  (6 WW points)

The dinner turned out great! It's not the original Pad Thai, it's sort of a salad bar version of it.  
If you're not use to the strong taste of fish sauce, I suggest you substitute the fish sauce with soy sauce or use half soy sauce and half fish sauce.  





A couple of things I did was add double the amount of red crushed pepper that the recipe called for, plus I added some cayenne peppers from my garden.  I like it hot!
I forgot to buy peanuts!!!  Peanuts add that final touch, I'm so mad at myself for not having them.  I'm not a huge peanut fan, but just a little sprinkled on top would have been nice.  I used Sugar in the Raw instead of regular sugar.  I usually substitute sugar with honey, but this time I think the honey wouldn't have given it that special flavor it needs.




If you noticed, there's a spoon in the plate of the final Pad Thai dish in the first photo.  I ate the dish with a spoon because they use spoons in Thailand to eat with, not forks.  The smells and everything just brought back so many memories of Thailand as I ate it.  Good times.

I will say one thing, when I make this in the future, I'm going to leave the boiled eggs out. I didn't really like the way they tasted in it.  I need some thai peppers, too. Cayennes are nowhere near as hot as the little Thai peppers they use.

In Thailand, instead of having salt and pepper on the table like we do here in America, they have a little caddy of 4 different condiments.  Crushed peanuts, sugar, hot vinegar, and crushed Thai red peppers.  I think I'm going to put one of these together so when I have my Thai dishes, I can just adjust the flavors as needed.  They are on every table of every restaurant in Thailand, yet, I've never seen them in the Thai restaurants here in America for some reason. I've always wondered about that.

Thai Condiments.


Thank you Lou for picking this recipe, I really enjoyed it.  It's my turn to pick for next week, so I will get to work on finding something and not waiting until the last minute this time! :-D



6 comments:

Diana said...

That looks good, was it easy to prepare? The list of ingredients looks pretty long...
I just made a corn, black bean and avocado salad that was super easy if you wanted to go 'Mexican' this week.

http://brickandblock.blogspot.com/2010/08/mmmm.html

Jolie said...

It was surprisingly very easy to make. I thought it was going to be complicated, too, but you really just throw it all together and it's done. I had quite a few of the ingredients already on hand so that also made it easy.

Lisa Rusczyk said...

This looks great!!

Paige said...

If you lived in New York I would so invite you (as my cyber friend) to have dinner with me!

Louise-Arden said...

Oh Jolie, I love how the dinner came out and your photo's are wonderful too :D I like the lime accents ! :) What's for dinner next Tuesday ? :D

Melissa said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmm! thanks for sharing!!!!

AddThis

 

poligrip