Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Set This House in Order - Book Review


I loved this book!  I had said before that I like a book that makes me think as I read it, a book that gives me something to try to figure out.  Well this book fit that criteria.  The book is about Andy Gage, who has multiple personalities living in his head.  Matt Ruff did an amazing job to take you into the head of someone with this type of disorder.  After a while, you actually started to feel like it's normal to have multiple personalities inside one person, that is how great a job the author did.  The book even has little drawings and diagrams in it so you can visually see what the author is talking about.  I'm a visual person so I loved this.  Andy has a little house he built inside his head that houses all the personalities so there isn't chaos, the book shows how he came about building this house for his personalities and how each room works and functions.

The story is anything but predictable.  You come to so many twists and turns you have no idea what's going to happen next. I was kept on the edge of my seat up until the very last page.  Oh and another great thing about this book, he doesn't leave you hanging at all at the end.  He neatly goes in and gives you a run down of everything that happens with each character and wraps it up nicely.  I rarely read books that do this, which can leave me with a frustrated feeling.   I would love to read more books like this, so if anyone has read this and knows of other books like this, please let me know.  I don't want to say too much about it because it seems like if I say anything, it will give too much away.

Although I highly recommend this book, I am going to give a warning.  There is one personality in the book named Maledicta.  This personality cusses like a sailor and drops the F bomb in every sentence.  I just thought I would throw that out there in case this might be a deciding factor if you read the book or not.  Although I hate books that have cursing like that, I actually do see why the author used it in this particular case. The only time it's used is with this particular character.

I don't have a  new book set up to read yet, I am still trying to figure out what to read next.  I'll look through some of the ones that people commented on in my last book post and see if any of those jump out at me.  I usually try to go to Amazon.com and read the first few pages of the books first. I can usually tell just by that if I'm going to like a book or not.

I give this book 2 thumbs up!

3 comments:

Krystle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Krystle said...

I wanted to read this book too, so I'm glad you liked it. I tend to end up not liking things I liked or thought I wanted to read if the reviews are not so good!

Anonymous said...

This message, is matchless))), very much it is pleasant to me :)

AddThis

 

poligrip