Saturday, January 22, 2011

Pancakes with Fresh Raspberry Sauce



1 cup raspberries
1/4 cup sugar + 2 Tbs  (I substitued with Agave)
1 Tbs lemon juice
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour (I substituted w/ half whole wheat pastry flour)
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 (8oz) container plain fat-free yogurt
1/2 cup milk (I substituted with coconut milk)
1 large egg
1 tablespoon canola oil


Step One:  to make the raspberry sauce, combine the raspberries, 1/4 cup sugar and lemon juice in small saucepan and set over med. heat. Cook. stirring occasionally, until a chunky sauce forms about 6 min.

Step Two: to make the pancakes, combine the flour, 2 Tbs sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Whisk together the yogurt, milk, egg and oil in  a small bowl. Add the yogurt mixture to the flour mixture, stirring just until combined.


Step Three: spray a nonstick griddle with nonstick spray and set over med heat. Pour 1/4 cup of batter onto the griddle. Cook until bubbles appear and edges look dry.  Turn and cook until golden brown. Transfer the pancakes to a plate and keep warm. Repeat with the remaining batter to make a total of 12 pancakes. Serve with the sauce.


______


The fresh raspberry sauce was the star of the show!  It was so delish!! I was so proud of myself for making  my own raspberry syrup for my pancakes.  This was the first time I've made pancakes from scratch, so I didn't know what I was doing and wasn't sure if my substitutions would ruin it or not. Next time I make it, I may look for a recipe that actually calls for whole wheat pancakes, so I can get the mixture of the right amount of baking powder and such.  One mistake I made was I made the pancakes too big, I should have made them a little smaller because they were still a little dough-ey inside the middle part.  Just make sure you get them cooked really good all the way to the inside! They should be fairly thin for that.

They look real yummy in the photo I took of them, I wish I had made even more of the raspberry sauce though.  I did the raspberry sauce MUCH different than how the recipe says to do it.  I can't stand to eat anything with seeds in them, that's one of the reasons I hardly ever eat blackberries, raspberries, etc.
In a pot I took just a couple of Tbs of water and put the raspberries in with it. I cooked it on medium, just a slight boil and mashed them with a mashed potato masher as they cooked. Then after it got more liquified, I poured the mixture into a different pot using a strainer to strain all those seeds out.  I added 2 Tbsp of the Agave and the lemon juice and then cooked on medium (slight boil) until it turned thicker, like a syrup.  That was it, I threw a few whole raspberries back in it just to warm them up with the sauce then quickly poured the raspberry sauce all over the pancakes.  Delish!

This was one of the Tuesday night dinners I was suppose to do with my friend Lou. I'm just now making it for breakfast this morning! We're going to start our Tuesday night dinner recipes back up starting this coming Tuesday, now that the holiday season is over.

To see how Lous pancakes turned out, you can go to her blog, Lou Girl Plus Tea.  She followed the original recipe correctly with no substitutions and made her pancakes much smaller than mine.  She said they turned out really great.

4 comments:

Louise-Arden said...

awww yours came out so lovely!! :) They are my favorite pancakes ! :)

Krystle said...

That looks so delish! =)

Garden Forum said...

Yum! Yum!
A recipe that can be include to every breakfast menu.
Thanks for sharing.

Susanne said...

We are house-bound here in Indiana due to an ice storm, so a good time for making pancakes for breakfast. I made these yesterday morning. YUM!!

AddThis

 

poligrip