Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Lentil Soup with Parmesan Toasts



1 1/2 oz butter
1 Tbs olive oil
1/2 cup chopped carrots
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup sliced leek (white part only)
1/2 cup chopped celery
4 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
1 small red chili (finely chopped)
13 oz tin of chopped italian tomatoes
32 oz vegetable stock or water
2 bay leaves
2 Tbs chopped fresh oregano
1/2 cup lentils du Puy
1 tsp salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup finely chopped parsley

Melt butter and oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add carrots, onion and leeks and cook for 10 min., stirring occasionally. Add celery, garlic and chilli and cook for a further 5 minutes. Add chopped tomatoes, stock (or water), bay leaves, oregano and lentils and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally for 30 min. Season with salt and pepper, and stir through parsley.



Parmesan Toast
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic
1/2 baguette
sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup finely grated parmigiano reggiano cheese

Preheat oven to 400F.
Place oil and garlic in blender and process until smooth.
Slice baguette into slices. Lay the slices in one layer on baking tray. Using a pastry brush, bursh each piece of baguetter with the garlic oil. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper and top with Parmesan cheese. Bake the toast 15-20 min or until brown and crisp. Makes 20 pieces.
Note: Toast will keep in an airtight container for up to 1 week.


This is my Tuesday Dinner Across the Miles recipe.  Lou and I make the same dinner every Tuesday night together from different states. (Go see Lou's here.)  I picked this recipe from the Bill Granger cookbook Sydney Food.  A friend of mine told me about Bill Granger and talked me into getting this cookbook! I'm so glad I did, thanks T.!  It has some really nice recipes in it and I highly recommend it, too.

This recipe called for Puy Lentils, but you won't find such a thing in the lil' town of Mayberry. So I just used the regular brown lentils you get at the grocery store. Maybe I will try to find some online and order them to see what the difference is.

Sydney Food
The soup has a ton of flavor. It calls for a chili pepper, so I put in one of my big cayenne peppers from my garden that I had stored in the freezer. It made it nice and spicy!



 I just couldn't get over the flavors in this. It called for Italian tomatoes, but I just used my canned tomatoes I canned this past summer. I also had a friend over and she said she loved the soup, too. The toast was also a hit.

2 Thumbs Up!





3 comments:

Louise-Arden said...

Jolie it was so yummy!!! :)

Nicole said...

That looks great!

Michelle said...

I usually have the same problem with english or american cookbooks, I find the ingredients a bit tricky to find sometimes and need to improvise with what we can ge here in Aussie. Bill Granger certainly is an Aussie icon :)

AddThis

 

poligrip