Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Water For Elephants - Book Review

What a wonderful story! A lot of people were telling me that this was one of the best books they have read and I have to agree, it was a page turner!

I was told that it starts out slow, so you have to push on and then it picks  up. I noticed this as I was actually trying to force myself to read it up to the first 4 chapters, but once I got past them, I couldn't put the book  down.

The author has a way of making you feel like you are right there experiencing almost everything that is happening. You get really attached to the characters because they come to life in this book.

When I read the prologue, it sort of leaves some details out, and I was misled on who killed who at the end, so I was on the edge of my seat worrying the whole time what was going to happen. I don't think saying this gives away any clues since it comes right out and tells you this before you even get to chapter one.  I was surprised in a good way though.

I can't wait to see the movie next month. When I heard Reese Witherspoon was going to be playing the part, it was really hard for me to see her as that character, but after watching the trailer for it, I can see she's going to do a great job. I love Reese! And you gotta love Robert Pattinson who plays the lead roll in the movie. :)



The book was really good, but I do have to point out some of the cons of the book to be fair. I found the sex scenes to be way too detailed, the author really didn't need to go into that much graphic detail, I almost felt a little traumatized! TMI for sure. There was also a lot of F bombs dropped and a lot of the using of the Lords name in vain. Thought I would throw that out there in case that might be a deal breaker for some of you.

Another con was, I wish the book would have went into a little more detail about what happened after the huge event at the end. I know it is easy to say they rode off into the sunset and lived happily ever after, but it leaves  you a little hanging after the author just put so much time and effort into the details of what happened before the happily ever after. You know? I almost feel like I need a sequel to fill me in on their happily ever after. haha  I guess you never  know, maybe it could happen.

Overall I do recommend the book because the story was amazing! I have a huge love of animals, so I would get a little choked up with a lot of the talk about the animals in the circus and what they went through. It was a very touching book. I loved how the whole story was told by the lead character when he was 93 years old. He was probably the funniest part of the book. He sure had me laughing! I'm glad he had a happy ending, too.

9 comments:

Beth Rutter said...

I agree, amazing book! I read it on my Kindle and had to keep recharging my battery because I just couldn't put the book down. I can't say I love the idea of Reese just yet, but she might pull it off.

The Hunger Games trillogy is another really good set of books.

CalypsoInTheCountry said...

I had to comment when I saw this because we just read it for our book club! Amazing book and I can't wait to see the movie. It made me sad to think about how it must feel to be old - forgotten about and treated like a child sometimes. But it was so well written and entertaining. I really fell in love with the characters. Great book!

Krystle said...

Glad you liked the book! I'm still up in the air about it but I may just read it =)

Smith said...

hi,,
By defined your decorating style, It's no easy it's taken me a couple of years to define mine that sort of sums up my decorating style. I much prefer to surround myself with modern icons & sentimental treasures. It's all about the balance between old & new, classic & trendy, vintage & modern.

Carol Ann said...

I just finished this book over the weekend before I knew the movie was coming out. I can totally see Robert Pattinson in the lead role, but Reese Witherspoon? She's at least 10 years older than him and I had imagined the two characters being close in age. Did I miss something?

Jolie said...

No you didn't miss anything, a lot of people are having a hard time seeing Reese playing that part. I also pictured someone much younger to play the character, but I really love Reese, so I am just going to roll with it. haha

Erin said...

I am so happy you enjoyed the book. It's still my favorite as of right now. I think Reese will be amazing.. it is assumed that Marlena is a few years older than Jacob and I like that because the woman has been hardened, I think, living in a prison, basically, with August. And, of course, Robert is just beautiful in my eyes and I can't wait to see him shine in this and finally put "Edward Cullen" behind him!

Mommyto3andahusky said...

I loved this book! I just found your blog and became a follower! :)
Erin

www.purplebookbloggingmommy.blogspot.com

Liz said...

THANK YOU for the review and mentioning the bad language and overt sex. I started reading WfE and stopped because of all that, and I was so disappointed. I really wanted to love the book! I was considering trying again, so I looked all over for info on the language and the sex, and couldn't find anything anywhere until I saw your review. Thank you for saving me some money! I'll now skip the book (sad!) and go see Robert do it instead. :-)

AddThis

 

poligrip