Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The Start of This Years Gardens


We got our gardens started this week. I love gardening!  My dad plowed the field over at his house and a friend and I planted all the seeds and plants for him.  I'm not sure if I can remember everything we planted for him or not, but here's the list...

  • Green beans
  • Tomatoes
  • Corn
  • Bell peppers
  • Banana peppers
  • Chard
  • Hot peppers
  • Onions
  • Potatoes
I'm sure I forgot something. We are going to have tomatoes coming out our ears this year.

My friend and I planting the garden.

And  now we have farmers tans. haha
It took us most of the day to plant everything, it's a pretty big garden.




Here is my tiny tiny little garden I planted behind my house.

That is the plum tree at the end of my garden. See how much it's grown?  :)
I paid my lawnboy to come plow it for me with his tractor. He charged me 10 dollars. What a bargain!
It didn't take me most of the day to plant mine of course.

What I planted:
  • Thai basil
  • Sweet basil
  • Dill
  • Cilantro
  • Mint
  • Tomatoes
  • Bell peppers (A LOT of them)
  • Chard
  • Cucumbers
  • Cherry tomatoes
  • Leeks (I replanted the smaller ones left from last year)
Bell peppers are just so over the top expensive in the stores, so I figured I would plant me a bunch of them this year and freeze what all I don't use. I'm planning on freezing a lot this year, even the tomatoes.




The things on my deck are doing really great, too.

Look! I already have a tomato! 
I can't wait for it to ripen.



I did the Topsy Turvy thing like I said I was.  It will be interesting to find out how this works.
I planted a cherry tomato plant in it, I figured they wouldn't weigh it down as bad.



The chives survived from last year.
Well, ALMOST.
 My lawnboy mowed them down, so I went out in the garden and dug them up and put them in pots to save them.

I feel I have learned some things from last year that will help me this year.  I planted the rows facing down the hill so the garden can drain better. I made little drainage areas on each side of the row that is lower than the plant so the garden can drain.  My tomatoes didn't do well in the garden last year at all, that is why I am growing them in pots on  my deck instead. I did more herbs this year than last because I use a lot of them to cook with.  Here's hopes to a successful garden this year!



7 comments:

Amy Lagerquist said...

Your little garden looks great, Jolie, and the view behind your parents' garden is STUNNING!!! I hope you have good luck this year. We won't plan for 3-4 more weeks (we had frost this a.m. and it's been an unseasonably cold spring), but we're making changes, too, in hopes of having greater success.

Paige said...

Very fun! We started our garden too. We planted onions, garlic, lettuce, snap peas, broccoli, carrots. We plan on planting tomatoes over the weekend. I love the photo with Little Foot in the background. Have fun:)

Jon Christie said...

Looks like your off to a nice garden this year!

Comeca Jones said...

Lucky you! I love gardening instant gratification.I will be back to see the progress!

Carol Ann said...

Looking forward to seeing your progress in the garden!
I'm growing my very first tomato plant on my deck. Wish me luck!

Martina said...

Your deck looks so cute and pretty, and I cannot believe how large this tomato is already in May!! I have mine always in pots on the deck. It works wonderful, and you can put them in different sunny places over the day if necessary.
Your father's garden really is impressive. It must be wonderful to have so much homegrown vegetables.
Enjoy your garden! Love to Little Foot! Martina

rmgales said...

Wow, I can't believe you have a tomato already. I haven't put any plants out yet. Made the mistake of planting too early last year, and lost quite a few plants. Planting my first vegetable garden this year. Hope to have everything in the pots & ground by Memorial Day week-end. Love your blog. Hope you can stop by A Diva's Garden.

AddThis

 

poligrip