Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Lost Island Food


Chef Robert Irvine cooked an amazing meal for the cast and crew of Lost.  He went to Hawaii where the show is filmed and he had to prepare this meal right on the beach with no kitchen. They let him go to a hardware store where he came back and built his own kitchen.  They gave him the food that was only found on the island, but later they gave him a dahrma drop where he got to use extra goodies to cook with. He had to build a kitchen and cook a huge meal for 90 people in only 7 hours.  He also had to take the food all the way to the set after he cooked it all.  Needless to say, he passed the test with flying colors.

I was blown away by all the amazing things he came up with off the top of his head.  One thing in particular he made that really caught my eye was his cooked shrimp inside pineapple bowls.  He didn't have anything to put the shrimp in, so he got creative and carved out the pineapples to make bowls with them.  I scoured the internet looking for this recipe and couldn't find it at all. So I finally found a video that shows him making it (but they have since removed and it's nowhere to be found), and I took notes as he told what all he put in it and how he made it.  So I wrote it down and had to try to make this one myself!

He used chard, so I happen to have some of that growing in my backyard, so I pulled some chard up


and washed it really well in the sink.



Next was the part I wasn't sure how to do. He didn't say how to hollow out the pineapple really, so I just used a knife and started cutting away. Cutting out the core part helped the most, the rest of it just came right out.

I had some shrimp in my freezer that my dad had brought back fresh from Florida, so I cooked that.
I had to peel and devein it myself, so if  you buy the shrimp already done for you, it really saves a lot of time in the preparation.


Robert cooked his chard in butter, but I cooked mine in olive oil, garlic and crushed red peppers.


Then I filled up the pineapple half full with the cooked chard.


Put the shrimp on top and then poured the sauce over it.
I'll tell how to make the sauce in the recipe below.
Then bake it in the oven.




Then the best part of all... eating it!


Wow, just wow! This turned out amazing!!!! It took some time to put it together, but it was worth every minute.  He served this to go along with other food, but I just ate it as a single meal for my lunch today.  It was filling and very satisfying.



Here is the recipe, it doesn't really have a name or anything. I guess I could call it pineapple shrimp surprise. :)

Pineapple Shrimp Surprise
Water
Peanut butter
Steak Sauce
Fish Sauce
Chard
Olive oil
Garlic
Crushed red pepper
Pineapple
Shrimp (peeled and vained)

Sauce:
  • Water
  • Peanut butter
  • Steak sauce
  • Fish Sauce
Mix water and a few Tbsp of peanut butter together. Flavor with a tad of the fish sauce and steak sauce. I poured some of the juice from the pineapple in it, too.

Cook olive oil, garlic and crushed red pepper in a skillet. Add chard and a small amt of water. Cook til desired tenderness.

Hollow out a pineapple and fill it half way with the chard. Boil abt 15 shrimp and put on top of the chard. Pour some of the sauce on top of the shrimp.  Bake in oven at 400F between 10 and 15 minutes.

Garnish as desired. Add the leftover pineapple to the plate. Enjoy!


You will automatically be transported to a tropical paradise as you eat this!


6 comments:

Fabiana said...

The pineapple shrimp recipe looks so good! I will have to try that at home! Thanks for posting...Robert is fun to watch!

ciao from Newport Beach

Tanya said...

That looks delish! I watched that episode too :)

Tricia said...

I'm going to have to try this; it sounds delicious!

Louise-Arden said...

Jolie I love the pineapple!!!

Maya @ Completely Coastal said...

I love this!! I don't watch Lost -maybe I'm missing something?

Della said...

This looks yummy!

AddThis

 

poligrip