Monday, July 18, 2011

Summer Squash Soup



My dads garden is giving us a lot of squash right now so I've been making squash soup with it. This is sort of my own little recipe that I put together, so here is the recipe in photo form. :)

First I get 4 or 5 medium squash and a large leek,

then chop up the squash in small pieces.



Cut the leek up real thin.


Then add some oil to a pot. 
Any kind of oil, I cook mostly with unrefined coconut oil, 
but you can use whatever you like.


Then add the leeks and cook for a few minutes, 
then add broth. You can use vegetable or chicken broth.
Don't put a lot of broth because the squash will make plenty of it's own liquid because squash is mostly water.


Then after the leeks have softened up some, add all of the chopped squash. 
You shouldn't see any of the broth that is at the bottom after you add the squash.


Bring to a boil, then bring the heat back down to a low simmer and cover with a lid. 
Let cook around 20 minutes until the squash gets softer.
Add the whole pot to a blender and blend, you may have to blend half the pot at a time.

Then I add some salt and shredded cheese for more flavor.

Then you have delicious Summer Squash Soup!


This stuff is so addicting, I've been eating it almost every day.
I am going to try to freeze a batch of it to see how it freezes, not sure if that would work or not, but boy would I love to have some of this on hand throughout the year, especially in the winter months.


10 comments:

Ann Marie | white house, black shutters said...

Yay for coconut oil! That soup looks so delicious. I always see leeks but don't know of any recipes I could use them for, and have never tried them. Thanks!

Pinning this to pinterest, and passing the link along to my friends!

Louise-Arden said...

I have to try this soup!!!!

Michelle said...

This looks so healthy. Love the colour. I've been getting right into soups lately, you can throw almost anything in there and give it a blend up and it's delicous for lunch or dinner :)

Jolie said...

I knew you would like this one with all the photos Lou! haha

Zamora Desert Vintage said...

I love squash soup, you can just send me a bowl... I currently live outside of Wilmington, NC! New to this area, I'm from San Diego, California... Its beautiful! Thanks for sharing... I'll have to try!

Jolie said...

Welcome to NC! I'm getting ready to vacation in CA and can't wait. It will be my first time visiting there.

Maura said...

Gorgeous!! ( Yum! )

The Anglesey Family said...

I have a question for you! I came across your blog when I googled redecorating and I love what you did with your bedroom! So I copied it! However, I was wondering if you used one or two coats of paint on your walls....You can email me at tiffanyswedddings @ gmail. com

Thanks!!!!!! I will appreciate any advice!

Jolie said...

I used 2 coats of paint. :)

ppe gloves said...

Eating soup instead of lunch is very good for health. I added your shared Leek and Potato Soup in my lunch and dinner dish, it is very beneficial for loosing weight quickly.

AddThis

 

poligrip