Saturday, August 13, 2011

He Loves Me!



I just finished reading this book called He Loves Me!, by Wayne Jacobsen. Katie, from the blog Radiance From Ruins, left me a comment suggesting I read this book. Thanks Katie, it was so worth the read!

I have been away from the Lord for the past 10 years and have just recently come back to him and renewing our relationship together. As much as I thought I understood how much God cared about me back before I fell away, I still apparently missed it, because I would have never run from him if I truly grasped how deep his love is for me. During my prayer time at Catalina Island a few weeks ago I totally surrendered to God and his beautiful presence filled me and he spoke to me telling me he loves me. He explained if I will come close to him, he will come close to me and reveal even more of himself to me. The more time I will spend with him, the more he will reveal.  And I need all the love revealed to me that I can get!

 I have always had a bad feeling inside when I hear certain preachers standing on street corners and yelling out to everyone that they are going to hell.  My first thought and probably most everyones around me is get this guy away from me! We as humans long to feel love, we don't need anyone shouting our flaws and faults at us because let's face it, we are full aware of all our many failings and flaws already. I know I am! I long more to be loved and I know we all do. This book opens our eyes to the many ways God is always reaching out to us in love. He is never trying to hit us over the head with a bible, he gently calls us to him.

I almost don't even know how to put this book into words, but it takes our misconceptions of who we thought God was and shows us the softer side of God, the huge heart he has, the deep love he does everything out of. Wayne tries to point us to the direction of a loving relationship, not a works centered religion that makes us feel like unless we are doing something special for God he isn't happy with us. He shows us that trying to follow the laws and rules that we may find in the bible will only leave us frustrated. We just don't have what it takes to live a perfect life. Wayne does an awesome job going really in depth about grace, because this is where grace comes in. God loves us already, we don't have to do anything to get him to love us, he just does. When we truly learn to love him back and learn about his amazing and huge love for us personally, out of that stems a longing to do what is right. Religion can get it backwards. "No wonder Paul said that to really love like God loves will fulfill every bit of the law without even trying." p.187.

One of the things I really liked in the book was his teaching on what Jesus said in John 14:23 "If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching."  He shows how this verse can be taken 2 different ways.  One way is the idea that if you say you love God you would keep his commands as if keeping them will be the way you prove your love.  The teachings and actions of Jesus' interpretation really reveals a different way, which is if we get the loving right, the keeping will take care of itself. Paul said love will fulfill the whole law. The book points out the difference in the way we take this is critical in how we invest our efforts... in keeping or loving. (Some of this can be found on page 187)

If you have found God's love and want to read a book that will awaken your soul to seek out even more of God's love, this is a great book to point you in that direction. If you aren't really sure about God's love this is also a book that can open your eyes to the truth of how loving our heavenly father really is.

This is hands down one of the best books I've ever read, I really recommend it. It reads easy and is a page turner.

I got mine from Amazon He Loves Me!



8 comments:

The Monogrammed Mrs. said...

I'm so thankful that you've turned back to him. I have a similar story and I have to say my life is much better now trusting fully in God.

Jules said...

Jolie, Jolie, Jolie. This is one of my most favorite posts you've ever written - so very honest and transparent and heartfelt. God is using this period in your life not only to draw you to Himself (isn't that such an incredible thought??), but also to use you to be a witness. This is powerful stuff. I've never heard of this book, but now I totally want to read it. Thanks for sharing!

Katie said...

So, so glad to read your review of this book! Thanks again for sharing your story! Keep telling it! I think stories are an encouragement to both the listener and the teller.

I need to read this book again, but I definitely agree with you that the John 14:23 teaching is one of the most impactful. Especially if you have a doityourself, independent type personality (like I do:). It's so easy to just do, do, do and sort of forget the whole "why" and "how" I'm able to do anything in the first place.

Blessings to you, Jolie! Know that special prayers are going up for you from your new blogger friend in VA.

TheVirginiaHouse said...

Love this post. You are so open and honest about where you are. God is an Awesome God and I mean that in the true sense. It thrills my heart to read of others who love him and to know that I will one day meet you in heaven. Thank you for sharing!

Kelly said...

First time to comment... But I always look forward to your posts--I luv your style and simplicity. I think the the little town that you live in looks so neat!

This post was very timely for me, I've been struggling to find a church home most of my adult life. Just recently, found one that we've visited 3 times but it's a struggle for me. I plan to order the book and am very excited about reading it! Thanks so much for sharing!

Amy said...

Yes, he does! I am so happy for you, Jolie. I enjoy reading your blog posts, but this one in particular is very touching. Thank you for sharing with us.

Live*Laugh*Love said...

Hey I am your newest follower :) would be so happy if you could follow me back as well thanks so much, have a great day!!

Tara

http://taracl2011.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Wow~fantastic story and testimony of His great love. Praise God one of His children have come back home!

Can I recommend something to you? I just completed Beth Moore's study Breaking Free. This study will so help you get into His Word and bring it all together for you. That is the secret~stay in His Word and Seek His face and pursue HIM hotly!

I will say this~she states 5 benefits of being His child~

To know God and believe Him
To glorify God
To find satisfaction in God
To experience God's peace
To enjoy God's presence

Welcome home sister~welcome home! (picturing Ty here welcoming a family to their new home~HA!)In Christ~Jan

AddThis

 

poligrip