Friday, March 9, 2012

Purpose Driven Life - Book Review

This is a book I read when I first came back to the Lord about 6 months ago. It is actually a daily devotional, you do each day for 40 days.  It was the perfect time for me to do this because every single day just spoke exactly what I needed each of those days.  A friend had given me this book back in 2004 but I just couldn't get myself to pick it up each day, it just wasn't the right timing.
A lot of you have probably gone through Purpose Driven Life, it was first released 10 years ago or more. Anyway, I really got a lot out of it. My favorite chapter was Ch. 16. Titled, What Matters Most.
This chapter is the chapter about love.
"No matter what I say, what I believe, and what I do, I'm bankrupt without love." 1 Cor 13:3b    I feel the very first step with getting back with God is to do some major learning about love, after all, that is what Jesus was about, the love walk. The book says, "It is in loving that we are most like him... that's why we're given a lifetime to learn it."

Here are a few more of my favorite quotes from this chapter...
"Relationships, not achievements or the acquisition of things, are what matters most in life."
"Busyness is the great enemy of relationships."
"Love leaves a legacy. How you treated people, not your wealth or accomplishments, is the most enduring impact you can leave on earth."
"Your time is your life. That is why the greatest gift you can give someone is your time."

If you haven't picked this book up, I encourage you to do so. It really put me on the right track to get back in a habit of a morning quiet time again. The book also comes with a journal, so you can write down your thoughts and things God spoke to you as you prayed and read.

Jesus said our love for each other -not our doctrinal beliefs- is our greatest witness to the world. 

We could all use a lot more love in our lives.  


5 comments:

Jill Stigs said...

Reminds me of the movie "Fireproof" with Kirk Cameron.

DittoDecorating said...

Great book! Wonderful news to hear of your recommitment. I have really missed your posts but totally understand with school and all. I too am a teacher and want to encourage you and say that I have LOVED my career for 28 years now. It is a calling from God and I am so thankful that I listened!

Michelle said...

This is a great review, I'll have to check my library to see if this one is on the shelf.

Merly said...

This is really a worth-reading book. Thumbs up to this book.

garage

perth investment property said...

I found your post is really helpful for me.. thanks.. keep posting good articles..

AddThis

 

poligrip