Friday, December 20, 2013

Farm Fresh


There is nothing better than eating fresh picked food from a garden. The way nature intended for us to eat. I've heard a lot about CSA's, Community Supported Agriculture, you can join so you can benefit from local farms in your area. I finally took the plunge and joined one. Some CSA's let you work and be part of the experience in return for the food, others let you pay a small fee. It depends on the local farm and how it's set up. 

I joined a month ago and I've had farm fresh produce coming out of my ears! I live alone, so it really is way too much food for me, I'm having to freeze things so they won't go bad. If you have a family, it would be the perfect amount. 

I pay $25. a week (paid up front) for a basket like this.


You walk in, empty the contents into your own bags that you bring and it always fills up about 3 bags. They stuff A LOT in these baskets. It also comes with a list of recipes to use your produce up in. I made some baked acorn squash stuffed with apples and it was divine.

Everything is local, in season, freshly picked, and only organically treated. 


If you would like to find a CSA in your area, go here
and type in your zip code and hit search. 
It will give you a list of all the CSA's and local farms that participate close to you.


For those that live in or near the Brevard County area here in Florida,
Rockledge Farm is right across the street from Rockledge Gardens on US-1.
Here is their website.

They will let you pick the food yourself, too.
I picked strawberries the other day. It's really neat, so they can get more in, they vertical garden and use hydroponic production. 

Check out these strawberries!


More of the farm.



You can also buy produce there without being part of the CSA. They have it set up like a farmers market in the front of the farm, so you can just go in and grab what you want, pay and go. I may end up having to do this instead since the CSA gives me more food than I can handle. I'm so glad I found out about this place.  :)

Picked my own strawberries.


There are so many reasons to get your food from a farm than the grocery store. One of the things I like about it is, there are no guessing games about what is in season and what's not. Everything they grow is obviously in season, it hasn't been shipped hundreds of miles from around the world using who knows what types of pesticides and farming practices.  You can see with  your own eyes how the vegetables are being taken care of and you know you are getting healthy food. No waxed up artificial things being done to it trying to make it last longer or look all shiny. Just fresh raw food the way we are intended to eat.  

Have I convinced you yet?





4 comments:

felicia harris said...

I love this idea. I'm going to have to check this out here in Winston-Salem. I bet it's cheaper that Whole Foods. Hmmm....

Jolie said...

Yes, much cheaper than WF. I'm pretty sure they have them there in Winston, when I lived near Winston, I know they had quite a few CSA's in my area there.

bubblegum casting said...

I am 1000% for local produce

David Schrock said...

I bought my last house in UK thanks to this guy here - http://www.martinsellstupelo. . He helped me uy our first investment condo in Oxford. When I did come in to town, my preview appointment were strategically planned allowing me to concentrate only in the most desirable developments . I really appreciated his attention to detail and professionalism.

AddThis

 

poligrip